(European, Late 19th c. / Early 20th c.)
Sculptural depictions of this classic figure of a runner originate in Greece, from the 4th century B.C. A large example is on the island of Corfu, in the garden of the Achilleion, the summer palace of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria. Two Roman replicas of the sculpture dating to the 1st century B.C. were found in the Villa dei Papiri at Herculaneum, and are now in the collection of the Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli. Some small-scale reproductions of the sculpture bear a foundry mark from Fonderia Sommer in Naples, a manufacturer active between 1860 and 1920.
Bibliographic references are available upon request.